Henny & Roo Subscriber Survey

In March, 2018, we surveyed our subscribers so that we could get a better understanding of who our customers are, so that we can select products to include in our boxes that best fit your needs and interests. Here’s what we found.

Experience Levelimg_9290
Henny & Roo subscribers have varying degrees of chicken keeping experience, with over a third having 2-3 years of experience.
0-1 years: 27%
2-3 years: 38%
4-5 years: 17%
More than 5 years: 18%

Pets, or Livestock?
It stands to reason that most of our subscribers view their chickens as pets with benefits (eggs!). I mean, we spoil them with treats and sprinkle their nesting boxes with dried herbs! Of all respondents, 59% indicated their flocks are pets, while almost all the rest replied their chickens are both pets and livestock.

Growing the Flock
To gain knowledge about how often our subscribers would be in need of products intended for chicks, we asked how often they add chicks to their flocks. The majority (41%) raise chicks annually. Other responses were “more than once a year” (16%), “approximately every two years” (19%), and “approximately every 3 years or less frequently” (19%).

Vendors often ask us to consider adding products for roosters, like no-crow collars, or products to protect their hens from aggressive roosters. We asked if our subscribers typically include a rooster in their flock, and more than half do not (53%). The rest of respondents (47%) keep one or more rooster.

Other Animals
Most of our subscribers (85%) care for more than just chickens. The other animals our subscribers are buying for include:

Other* 28%
Other birds (geese, pheasants, guineas, etc.)14%
*Other pets indicated by our subscribers included reptiles, guinea pigs, fish, and donkeys.

Where We Shop
While Henny & Roo subscribers are very loyal, they also obtain their chicken keeping supplies from multiple other sources. 77% reported shopping at large chain retailers (Tractor Supply, Farm & Fleet, etc.), 61% use small local retailer, and 38% purchase chicken keeping supplies online.

Why Henny & Roo?
Here are the top reasons why our subscribers start and continue their monthly deliveries of chicken keeping supplies with Henny & Roo:

  1. “To try poultry products that I cant find in my local feed store” (72%)
  2. “To receive surprise gifts for myself” (70%)
  3. Other: “Because it’s fun!” (54%)
  4. “For the convenience of having supplies on hand without having to shop” (28%)
  5. “Because I receive the items at a lower cost than purchasing them individually (13%)

To all of you who replied to this survey, we thank you for helping us get to know you better! Your replies will help us to select products that fit your chicken keeping lifestyle. We thank you for your subscription and look forward to providing you with hard-to-find goodies for you and your flock!

Not a Henny & Roo subscriber? Try us out, and get your first subscription for 10% off with code SPRING18 at: hennyandroo.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *